Electric car anyone?

6 lurkers | 73 watchers
10:09am
10:09am, 29 May 2024
24,350 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, they are a pain. Particularly if you don't use them frequently, you're in a rush and you need to reset / remember passwords etc to approve the app, and you are invariably in a poor data signal area / its raining etc etc
10:45am
10:45am, 29 May 2024
1,949 posts
  •  
Gromit
ahhhh fab - sorry for the newbie questions - i didnt know you would just be able to pay contactless - assumed you'd need to be registered and use specific apps for them all - good to know - thanks guys
11:18am
11:18am, 29 May 2024
50,125 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Paying for charging is improving in my 3 year experience Gromit. Far more will just accept contactless payment, no app or worse RFID card required, which is great. However, there are a few! I now have:

RFID cards: Charge Place Scotland; Shell (which actually works for multiple as narrated in my Euro-adventure blog); Octopus Electroverse (not yet used).
Apps: BP Pulse; Shell; FastNed (Holland and other continent locations); Charge Place Scotland; Charge Your Car (can't even remember what that is!); Octopus Electroverse; EO App (for my work); E.On Drive (not used, installed in Belgium, charger didn't work!); OVO Charge (can't even remember if I've used that one!); Tesla (wouldn't work at two locations I tried on M6!)

What fun! :-) G
11:38am
11:38am, 29 May 2024
24,356 posts
  •  
larkim
In the main, if you are using rapid chargers as an "emergency" option, then contactless will likely get you through. Certainly the motorway network chargers all appear to accept contactless (e.g. Instavolt, Gridserve, etc etc). There are some cheaper deals around if you are a "member" via apps of some networks, and there is the Electroverse card which I think combines some of the more popular networks into one RFID card. Not used it though, but it sounds like a sensible idea.
jda
12:50pm
12:50pm, 29 May 2024
17,168 posts
  •  
jda
I'd agree if you're a regular user of a charging network eg driving a lot with work and/or no domestic overnight charging, then working out which app(s) to rely on may make more sense.

If you are mostly within range of home with occasional long trips to different destinations then it's probably not worth the headspace in trying to work them out (or membership fees where appropriate). I expect most EV users are in this category.
12:59pm
12:59pm, 29 May 2024
3,513 posts
  •  
Big_G
Anyone seen the Rolls Royce entry into EV?! The Spectre.

£332K list, and very easy to adid over £100K of options if you want. £1350 for a pair of colour coded umbrellas that go in the door, for example.

Just scrapes in under the 3 tonne mark. 700kg battery.
1:00pm
1:00pm, 29 May 2024
24,362 posts
  •  
larkim
As I'm am octopus domestic power customer I've just set up the octopus electroverse card after being reminded to by HGs post earlier today. Will be a handy thing to keep in the car "just in case". But may well never use it!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.