The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

331 watchers
10 May
2:11pm, 10 May 2024
3,477 posts
  •  
Big_G
Not sure how you felt at the end of the marathon, but as you said you hadn’t raced it hard I’m presuming you felt pretty okay? Therefore, is it possible that the marathon itself could have given some training benefit?

I do quite a lot of marathons when fit and this is from population of one, etc etc. Not suggesting this is any training programme to follow, but about 6 weeks before I got my current - and big - marathon PB I did 4 marathons in 10 days at a sensible effort. I then eased off the marathons prior to my PB attempt, did a MP run and also a 5K PB so knew I was in decent shape, and then got my big marathon PB (13mins). I do think that those marathons provided some training benefit to me, as I mainly did them at a comfortable effort (although one of them - the second one of the 4 I think - was a hard slog).
10 May
2:18pm, 10 May 2024
24,092 posts
  •  
larkim
If we accept that x miles at MP has a training stimulus, then I did 16 at MP in London, so there must be some stimulus, definitely. And like I say, without the destructive race and it's impact on muscle damage etc, I'm certain I am fitter now than I would have been had I raced it hard.
SPR
10 May
3:01pm, 10 May 2024
44,196 posts
  •  
SPR
If people generally fuel their runs then running before breakfast is different. None of us would race without fuelling so fasted can be accurate.

I wouldn't use the description myself but I'd expect some difference between a run straight out of bed and one when I have breakfast then wait a couple of hours before running.
10 May
3:42pm, 10 May 2024
24,095 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't know if physiologically there is any difference (certainly for an "easy" run) which is after a 12 hour "fast" vs one which is after a 2 hour gap from the meal. I think the concept came up in the recent Ross Tucker podcast with a scientist working on testing (elites) in this area but can't honestly remember what the conclusion was. Though I do remember the guy basically saying that whatever the science said, the really important thing was that if your experience of "fasted" runs makes you more / less reluctant to train, or train sub-optimally, then the choice that you make should reflect that general mentality as that overall would be better for you. Which makes perfect sense to me. Training in a way that you enjoy / motivates you has to be the best training, certainly in the long term.
10 May
3:43pm, 10 May 2024
24,096 posts
  •  
larkim
This was the episode

play.acast.com
12 May
7:00pm, 12 May 2024
4 posts
  •  
EdGreig
Finished Exeter today, had a lot of excuses running through my head (heat, course error, did an 83k race the week before) but was very conscious of the DNF discussion this week so stuck with it to finish in 3.39 (This may be revised to around 3.34 though due to the course error where we were sent on a longer lap in the first mile that added 1k!)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw
York: 20/10: SJA
Cleethorpes 23/11: riggys